General Education Listening Sessions
The General Education Program at Appalachian seeks to provide students with a first-rate liberal arts education. Our goal is well-rounded students with the knowledge and skills important for professional and personal success at Appalachian and after graduation: abilities to think critically and creatively, communicate effectively, make local-to-global connections, and understand the responsibilities of community membership.
As an experience shared by our undergraduate students and our faculty, it is important that the General Education program represents Appalachian's identity. It is also important for our General Education program to adapt and evolve in response to emerging challenges, changes, and opportunities. During the 2020-21 academic year, a group of colleagues from colleges across campus, the Student Government Association, and the General Education Program will be hosting campus-wide listening sessions to hear perspectives from the campus community on a range of topics related to General Education at the program level, and to help plan for its future.
The General Education Listening Task Force will host two Zoom Listening Sessions for each topic on the days and at the times listed below, to hear your thoughts on General Education at the program level. The Listening Sessions will be recorded and the recordings will be available on this website at the links below. For each topic we will also have available a brief survey to collect your thoughts on how well the current General Education Program addresses this topic. Each confidential survey also includes the opportunity to provide written thoughts on the topic for those who would prefer to contribute to the conversation in that manner or who are not able to attend one of the listening sessions.
Please make plans to join us during these sessions to help us think about our General Education Program.
Zoom Listening Sessions
Session 4: TBA
- Thursday, March 25, 12:00-1:00 pm
- Thursday, March 25, 6:00-7:00 pm
Session 5: Open Session
- Thursday, April 22, 12:00-1:00 pm
- Thursday, April 22, 6:00-7:00 pm
General Education Listening Task Force
- Leslie Bradbury (Curriculum and Instruction, Elementary Ed / RCOE)
- Emily Daughtridge (Theatre and Dance / FAA)
- Leonardo Flores (Chair English / CAS)
- Bailey Gardin (SGA)
- Darci Gardner (Languages Literature & Cultures / CAS)
- Tina Hogan (IRAP)
- Kristin Hyle (Assistant Director Gen Ed)
- Richard Klima (Director FYS)
- Melissa Lesbines (Hayes School of Music)
- Denise Levy (Associate Dean BCHS)
- Abhi Ramalingam (Economics / WCOB)
- Ted Zerucha (Director Gen Ed / Committee Chair)