Director of General Education
The Office of Academic Affairs invites internal applications for the position of Director of General Education. This is a 10-month one-half time administrative position, beginning July 1, 2018.
The initial application review will begin on February 5, 2018 and will continue until the position is filled.
Qualifications include tenured faculty status, experience managing academic programs, a high level of organizational skills, ability to communicate with a wide variety of university personnel, ability to manage budgets, and an understanding of the theory and best practices of successful general education programs.
Applicants should send a letter of application detailing the applicant's qualifications for this position, a current C.V., and the names, email addresses and phone numbers of at least three references.
Completed applications should be submitted via email to email@example.com or mailed to:
Dr. Mark Ginn
Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education
BB Dougherty Administration Building
Appalachian State University
Boone, NC 28608
The Director of General Education is a tenured faculty member whose responsibilities include:
- Coordinating the development of the General Education curriculum in conjunction with General Education Council
- Approving student transfer substitution requests
- Coordinating academic issues with departments
- Ensuring that there are appropriate faculty development opportunities for those teaching or potentially teaching General Education courses
- Overseeing public relations initiatives and ongoing communication efforts for the General Education Program
- Overseeing coordination with the Vice Chancellor of Enrollment Management and the Registrar for course availability
- Serving as liaison with the Office of international Education and Development and providing advice to faculty developing study abroad General Education offerings
- Chairing the General Education Council
- Chairing the University College DPC
- Serving on DegreeWorks Oversight Committee
- Serving as liaison with Faculty Senate
- Representing the General Education Program at campus and external events
- Overseeing the General Education website design and development
- Overseeing the daily operations of the Office of General Education – manage budgets, supervise and evaluate personnel, prepare annual report, and lead team conversations for strategic planning
- Performing other duties as assigned